Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"To Wiarton and On to Shelburne....."

This was one of our "rest stops" on the way from Tobermory to Wiarton. We had 49 miles to ride that day after leaving the ferry and arrived in Wiarton late afternoon. This was the earliest we had been able to check into our motel the entire trip and were sitting in the Wiarton Inn for dinner before 5! :)
I saw "Tom and Jerry" in Markdale while on the lookout for the post office. I had seen the miniature horse team on the main street while driving through town, but wasn't able to grab the camera fast enough to take a shot from the car. When I circled back to the spot where I had seen them, they were leaving, so once again I circled around the block. I found their owner, Danielle, tying them up so that she could go into another store. I parked quickly, walked over and asked if I could take some photos of them for my blog. She obviously said yes, and in talking with her, found out that she drove them into town because they needed to be exercised.........in her words, "they're too fat". :) They were a very well mannered/trained team. I can see myself having a team like this, too. :)
After arriving at "Anderson's Hilltop Farm", our B&B on the outskirts of Shelburne, we unpacked and went out to dinner. We took this photo along the way.............
This was taken from outside the B&B. The farm across the road from the B&B, also belonged to the owners of the B&B, and is where Mr. Anderson grew up. The old farmhouse is also used to house guests. The area is very beautiful with it's rolling hills.
On our way out the next morning, we passed these horses. They were all grazing on the far side of the pasture from the road, but when Don came riding by, they all stopped grazing and wandered closer to the road to get a better look at the "human on wheels". We were beginning to see more and more horses, the closer we got to Toronto.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Michael, I love the miniature horses! What a cool way to transport self and goods.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Wiarton to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Jane