Monday, September 10, 2007

"Naubinway, MI, to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario...."

Day 6 dawned foggy and overcast, with occasional sprinkles of light rain. When looking through the photos taken during the trip, some days stand out significantly and others kind of blend into "THE TRIP", meaning that I don't have much memory of that day. This is one of them that I remember specific things from, but the rest of the day is a blur. Perhaps it is because the route was taking us away from the shoreline and much of the wooded area looked all alike? :) I'm sure that is part of it. The photo below shows much of what we traveled through that day. Beautiful to be sure....and quiet, but not too many unforgettable stopping places, except for the few we documented with photos.
Don's GPS made his ride truly easy. I guess I shouldn't say his ride, but following his route was made especially easy, as the GPS beeped and let him know of each turn before he got to it. I had hard copy maps that were printed from the GPS program and were great, too (as long as I read them correctly, that is). :)


I'm afraid that I have no idea as to the village's name where this was taken, but I'd stopped at the volunteer fire station/park as one of my regular 3-5 mile stops, and there it was. There wasn't any plaque explaining the significance of this log, so we've come to the conclusion that it was just because of it's size. Even "my size" pales in comparison! :)

Of course, Don makes it look MUCH larger. :)

Here is one of my "National Geographic" photos.....some cranes (I have no idea as to the kind) out in a field. I was struck by the size of the flock(?). (double click to enlarge)

We came upon this outside Sault Ste. Marie, MI. It had something to do with the public school system, but it wasn't clear as to what. It was honoring someone, perhaps a previous superintendent? I stopped and took a photo of it though because of it's setting. It was pretty and the spot was well taken care of.

We arrived in Sault Ste. Marie, MI, paid our toll on the Michigan side, and headed over the International Bridge to the Canadian Sault Ste. Marie in Ontario. Yes, Don did ride his bike over the bridge and when stopped at customs, was asked a few questions, but mainly ones like" how was your ride?, why are you doing this, yada, yada, yada.....", while I, on the other hand, was questioned thoroughly, had to get out of the car, go inside the customs office, was checked out on the computer for my "record", and was searched (not physically but the car was), ending in, of course, with "have a nice day". :) This is what I get for looking like a terrorist, eh? (notice the "eh?".....I was now in Canada) :)

No comments: