Thursday, September 12, 2013

"Roasting Tomatoes to Freeze....."

One of my former students, Lisa, whom I am friends with on Facebook, suggested this method of preparing tomatoes for freezing.  Instead of blanching them to help with skin removal, she roasts them.  With my small harvest earlier this week, it seemed to be the perfect time to try it.......


After baking them for about 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven, I brought them out and allowed them to cool until they could be handled comfortably.


Then, I prepared my handy dandy "bag holder", that I found at Menard's, to receive its share of the tomatoes.  This bag wasn't yet dated but I normally will have the date and contents already written on the bag before filling.  I guess I was in too much of a hurry, wanting to take the photo to have gotten my routine done correctly.  ;)


I peeled the tomatoes (yes, the process made that VERY easy!) and dropped them immediately in the waiting freezer bag.


Thanks to Lisa, I now have a quick and easy way to process my small tomato harvests without heating up the temp in the kitchen with the blancher.  Our kitchen exhaust fan seems to pull the oven heat out easier than the humid heat from boiling water....or is it my imagination?  ;)  Regardless of the reality of that, I liked this process.  ;)



No comments: