Not having any idea as to what "Jazz Strings" looked like, except for the small photo on Great Northern's web site, I decided it was time to try another recycled material to weave some rugs. "Loopers", which I have woven and posted about recently, are a waste product of the sock industry. "Jazz Strings" are from tee shirt manufacturers.
Little did I know what a "challenge" it would be to untangle the contents of my 11# bag of Jazz Strings. After searching but not being able to find any ends, I just started pulling on one of the strips of material. That did work and I finally was able to come to an end, where I began winding it into a ball.
A closer look of the Jazz Strings. They are available in solids and stripes......I asked for something with blue.....this is what they sent. With such a repetitive pattern in the material, I am anxious to start weaving it up so that I can see what it will look like as a finished piece. The material is also VERY soft, so that, too, should make for a nice "feel" for a rug.
Here is what 11#'s of Jazz Strings look like after being wound into balls. Amazingly, so few pieces! I must say though, untangling the material was not the only challenge......the other was winding these huge balls! They are easily the size of basketballs, but are closer to a medicine ball in weight. It stretched as it was wound, so these are SOLID balls. ;)
I took this photo to give some perspective on their size compared to the dining (my work) table.
I asked for some tips on weaving with this material on Rugtalk, one of my online fiber groups that I subscribe to on Yahoo. I was fortunate enough to receive some very nice responses, and I am very grateful to those who sent them. Hopefully, I will get warp measured out today so I can begin setting up the loom once again to begin weaving a rug of "Jazz Strings". :)