Friday, March 20, 2009

"Sheep Breeds......"

Jacqui has a variety of sheep breeds on her farm. Some are purebreds and others are crosses. I will label the photos as I "think" I have been told, although, I do hope that I am corrected so that I can go back and edit as needed.

The ewe in the photo is a Merino or Merino Cross. I believe this is correct because of the wool on top of the head and down the legs.


This little girl/guy (it could be a wether) is an Icelandic.


I may be mistaken, but think this is Clouseau, the Rambouillet Cross whose fleece I purchased from Jacqui when I last visited Dumgoyne Farm.


This is Mocha, whose lambs wool (his first shearing) I'm planning on spinning to knit a sweater.


Ewe's and wethers waiting their turn for shearing.........


The bags of fleece. Each fleece had to gathered, labeled, weighed, and recorded twice (1 for the the bag, 1 for the farm books). I took this photo as I was leaving. Jacqui and Bob had about 25 more sheep to shear.


I had a great time and want to thank Jacqui for inviting me to Dumgoyne farm to experience once again the thrill of watching sheep being sheared. It has been many years since I had seen it done.......the late 1970's or early 1980's to be more precise, when we had sheep at our little 3 acre farmette, "The Wind in the Willows", outside of Niles, MI.

1 comment:

Molly Bee said...

Oh FUN! I'm so jealous! I did get out to A to Z to see the new lambies though so it's not so bad...but alpacas!!!! Now I'm counting down the day to Alpaca Fest!