Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"Twill Sampler #2"

My 2nd twill sampler was completed last Sunday. It has 9 variations, 6 which are for use as borders, all from one particular threading, each using a different treadle sequence. The "Border samples" were all separated by a regular twill sequence (1,2- 2,3- 3,4- 1,4). I liked how that looked in both a color and plain white and could see myself using it both ways for a complete piece.


I took close ups of sections so the design could be seen easier. The designs all looked somewhat "squished" in comparison to the photos in the book. In case you don't remember from my earlier post, I'm using Anne Dixon's, the Handweaver's Pattern Directory. I mentioned the "squished look" to another weaver and he suggested I use something a bit thicker as weft, rather than the same size as the warp. I've used 3/2 Cottolin for both in Samples #1 & #2. He thought perhaps doubling the Cottolin would work or I could use something like Sugar and Cream yarn, which I do have in my stash, leftover from some knitting projects. I'll most likely try both, although I like the Cottolin colors and sheen best.

Here are 2 of the borders......


One from the previous photo, plus 2 more......


2 more borders and 1 of the designs which could be used for cloth........


The last 2 samples for cloth.

Now to re-thread the loom and weave Twill Sample #3, experimenting with different thicknesses of weft. ;)

3 comments:

Maniphone said...

They're beautiful! You're amazing ;)

dc said...

your selvages are so straight! That has to take practice. Very nice.

KarenInTheWoods said...

Very nice samples! I like the med blue stripe...

your selvages look very nice too, and great to see your labels to mark each section! you are sooo organized!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Steve and Karen
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/