Wednesday, August 14, 2013

"Freezing Cherry Tomatoes....."

I harvested a few things from the garden the other day.  This time I saved the green beans for us to eat fresh, and the dill heads have to dry a bit more before removing the seeds to use later.  However, I froze some of the cherry tomatoes to use later in chili or some other dish which would be conducive to adding them.  A comment was left on one of my earlier posts by "Carol of MN", who suggested washing, freezing individually on a cookie sheet, and bagging extra tomatoes to use in soups, etc. so I decided to take her advice with these cherry tomatoes.  I now have 4 quart bags of cherry tomatoes in the downstairs freezer.  It was quite ironic that the following day I received an email newsletter from Oryana, our local food co-op, that  had some quick food preserving suggestions to use for those high yielding, all at one time, crops.  They, too, suggested freezing tomatoes, saying that although they wouldn't be as good as canned, they would freeze well and when defrosted, the skins would slip right off.  So, Thank you Carol and Oryana!

Here is my harvest from the other day.  The colander holding the cherry tomatoes is a large one, although that is hard to see in this photo.


2 comments:

Janice Zindel said...

I used to freeze tomatoes, not the cherry varieties but whatever varieties we grew. I would wash them, cut them, cut in quarters or sixths, seed them, but them up a bit more, and freeze the small pieces in ice cube trays, then pop them out frozen and bag them back up and back into the freezer. Nice in soups and stews in winter with nice fresh flavor, though they don't keep their shape well. Another idea to add to your possibilities! ~Jan Z.

Janice Zindel said...

oops, that should read "cut them up a bit more,..."