Monday, February 21, 2011

"Weekend Work on the Towels...."

My next step was to thread all 400 warp ends through the heddles in a 1,2,3,4 shaft pattern.


In my opinion, Don took some excellent photos of the process.


I am so happy with my new loom. The front beam is removable, which makes getting down and into the shaft area for threading the heddles so much easier!


All heddles threaded and ready for the next step of sleying the reed.....meaning.... threading all 400 warp ends through the beater, after which, they will be tied to the front rod, and then actual weaving can begin. ;)


A broader view of the loom with all the warp tied on and the header woven.


A close up of the woven header. This section is woven with scrap yarn because it is done purely to spread out and bring all the warp ends into parallel alignment.


I couldn't stop myself.....I just HAD to weave some of the towel!


Once again, my personal photographer, Don, snapped some photos of the process......


A close up of where I ended Saturday night.


My weaving area. I have the loom on felt pads which allows me to slide it out into the room when I want to weave. Having the ability to move it easily makes it more functional when it comes to getting around the loom, too.


The final update from the weekend.....sigh. After weaving on it a bit more, I began having problems with warp tension. I realized after a bit that when I had wound the warp onto the warp beam, even though tight then, the way I did it allowed the warp sticks to move, which in turn, really messed up the tension. So, luckily, I was able to wind the entire warp forward onto the cloth beam, and re-wind the warp back onto the warp beam again, but in doing so, it meant that I was going to have to cut what I had already woven off from the loom, then re-tie the warp to the front rod, and begin once again.

Here is a photo of the piece cut from the loom. As sorry as I was to have to do this, it isn't a total waste. I now can follow the patterns instructions on how to finish the towels, using this as a "test piece".


After re-doing all of this, I am now back to where I began........re-tied, header woven in, and several inches of towel woven once again.

More to follow......

3 comments:

Barb said...

At least you didn't have to re-do the heddles and reed. The sample piece is gorgeous! I'm sure you'll find a use for it once it's hemmed.

Molly Bee said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pics Don took of you at the loom! Gorgeous work!

Shelly said...

You are an inspiration! How are you guys? Other than being distracted by the current political situation, we are doing well. I was at the protest on Sat. I was going to make a "Union Thug" sign for Henry, but thought better of it. Can't wait to see you at happy hour this spring! Take care and thanks for supporting State Workers! - Anna