Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Third and Final Day of Loom Assembly....."

Sunday dawned nice and bright. Working in the front room when the sun is out is quite pleasant. As you may notice, the arrangement of portable storage carts under the windows has changed. I added the one which held the Aero Garden from the kitchen. I thought that since I had allowed the cherry tomato plants to extend past the gardens light source, it might be better for them to be in the front window where they could get some bright sunlight, too.

The only assembly left on the loom was to tie the treadles to the lams. I was not sure how to do this, so once again, I wrote to Sara, from Woolgatherers. I can't give enough praise for the customer service she and her husband, Hans, provide! Within a short time, Sara had sent me a diagram of how I could tie the loom up. This initial tie up would give me some experience with the loom and could be built upon from there.


The front and knee beams can be removed easily to make the job of treadle tie up easier. As you can imagine, getting under the loom without them being removed could be quite a chore and would require some amazing agility......my body is loooooong past that! ;)


The shafts are controlled by the lams, which, in turn, are controlled by the treadles. Each time a treadle is pressed down, the lower lams pull the shaft(s) up and the lower lams pull others down, creating an open shed, where the shuttle is passed through with the weft.


Texsolv cord is WONDERFUL! The cord has openings which allows easy tie up, using pegs instead of knots to get and keep the length needed for whatever function is being worked on.


The diagram Sara emailed me. I am testing one of the tabby treadles. Tabby, another name for plain weave, is a simple and easy weave structure. This treadle controls shafts 1 and 3.


And this one controls 2 and 4. Alternating these 2 treadles gives you plain weave.


This is a better view of treadle 7 pressed down, bringing shafts 2 and 4 up.


Assembly complete. I measured out a warp yesterday and am now in the process of dressing the loom. Photos to follow. ;)


2 comments:

Molly Bee said...

Holy Crap! That IS bigger than I thought it was!

Bettina said...

Hi Mike,
I have the Lilla Loom too and some problems with the tieup.

Do you use Saras plan for tying up 8 shafts and 8 treadles. I have seen the paper in your hand with the plan. But you make the tying up different like me. I think, that is the problem. I have some thinking fault. I hope, you can help me.

Bettina