Thursday, February 24, 2011

"Amaryllis Bulbs....."

Don's sister, Bonnie, and her husband, Eugene, have been sending us Amaryllis bulbs for several years for a Christmas gift. We both enjoy watching the bulbs send out their flower stalks and anticipate the long blossoming period.

The one we received this year arrived with 2 flower buds already up, and unfortunately, frozen. I called White Flower Farm to report this and they sent out another bulb to replace it. I decided to keep the frozen bulb and see if perhaps it would send up some leaves. I had my doubts as the bulb, after warming up, felt "squishy" so I thought it may have been a lost cause.

That bulb has the very tall flower stalk in todays photo. It pulled through and sent up a flower stalk!!! The replacement bulb is closer to the window and is sending up 2 flower stalks. Unfortunately, the other 2 pots of bulbs we've received previously, are just sending up leaves. I've not been able to get them to flower a 2nd time, but continue to hope that one will.



More photos when they are in bloom........

No comments: