Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"A Little Dyeing....."

I did some more dyeing of sock yarn last week. Here is the 1st one ready to go into the crock pot.


In its water bath with white vinegar added as the mordant.


It was rather non-descript when it was finished........


So back into another dye bath with more color added.....Aztec Gold for some vibrancy. The finished skein is shown in a photo at the end of today's post.


I also decided to try "stove top" dyeing. I kept the pot purposely for this reason when we got new cookware, but this is the 1st time I have tried it. "Fire Red" dye was used this time and vinegar added as mordant, too.


The finished skein of sock yarn. Definitely a bright pink. I'm not sure if I will keep this "as is" or over dye it to get something darker/richer. What are your thoughts?


"Sky Blue" this time.......


The finished skein. This one was dyed specifically to create a pattern when knit, by tying the skein very tightly in one place so the dye would not be able to penetrate underneath the tie. When the yarn is knit, it will have a white/light colored stitch between the blue stitches creating a continuous, repeating pattern throughout the sock.


This is a skein of Lion Brand Sock Yarn that I decided to try over dyeing with something dark. I really do not know why I bought it in the 1st place, although the colors are nice, but a bit too "girlie" for me. I probably was thinking granddaughter, but since I don't own a compound cylinder for my CSM yet, I'll find another use for the yarn.


The over dyed pink yarn is the 2nd from the right. I think it looks sort of like a variegated mahogany. The center one is the other over dyed skein of yarn that I redid using Aztec Gold. Actually, the left one is also over dyed, too. I'd used a green dye and it, too, seemed "blah" when it was finished, so I put it back into the same dye bath and added some "Brown", so now it is a dark khaki.


I am glad that I tried stove top dyeing. It is definitely MUCH faster than the crock pot, but I also had to watch and check it more frequently, so both have their positive and negative points. I will continue to use both methods.

1 comment:

Molly Bee said...

OMGosh! Look at you go! Gorgeous colors!