Wednesday, May 7, 2008

"Loom, Yarn, and MacBook Pro........."

Last week I spent quite a bit of time retro fitting my 36", four harness, Harrisville Floor Loom. This is what it used to look like.......

This what it looks like now, minus the new raddle that I improvised and built for it. The "C" clamps are holding my new Harrisville Tensioning Device, that Don gave me for my birthday. It will not stay on after I put a warp on, but I wanted to have everything on there so I would know how things fit together. I added the 2 canvas aprons (front and back), which are not standard on this loom, but I felt they would be a good addition for helping make the tension across the warp and front beams, a more consistent one. There are heavier steel rods in the hems of each apron, which are laced in conjunction with the one that will have the warp threads attached to it.

The directions for the using the tensioning device call for the warp to be put onto the loom from front to back. I was taught to put the warp on to the loom, back to front (there is no right or wrong way to do it). I "think" I have it figured out how to do it "my way". Today might be the day that I find out. :)


Our friend, Barb, who is also a weaver, and who loaned me the small travel loom for the workshop, has been cleaning out closets and her "yarn stash", MUCH to my benefit. So much so, that I had to go out and buy more storage units to help organize it all. I bought 2, 3 drawer units, which you can see are now located on top of my wardrobe. Functional, but not necessarily high on an interior designers list. The drawers are completely removable, and will be great for when I need to sort through the various yarns/colors. Barb was more than generous.....(I hope she continues to clean closets). :)


This is Don's new MacBook Pro......and his set up to "work". Pretty cushy, eh? :) It truly is nice that he can sit there, work, and be so comfortable. PLUS, by his working here, I have access to our desktop!!! :)

1 comment:

Molly Bee said...

I have the book with the Baby Surprise Jacket pattern in it. I attempted it twice and 'Surprise' it didn't turn out to be a jacket or any other recognizable object...twice. No one else seems to have a problem with it though and the photos of it worked up are adorable. Lemme know if you need it and I can email it to you. That probably violates lots of copyright laws but I'll bet Elizabeth wouldn't mind....