Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"In the Yard and Around the House........"

Out by the chicken coop, these beautiful flowers come up every year. I do not know what their name is, but love the blue hues of their flowers. I'm in the process of making their small (fork in the path) area by the tree/coop into a small corner bed by adding mulch to create a path out to the back gate.


A few of our red tulips which I moved from the front yard when we had the deck built onto the front of the house.


White violets on the left and on the right, one of the few remaining strawberry plants from our planting a few years ago along the top edge of the rain garden. I hope that the squirrels will not find the ripening strawberries from it this year.........


One of the early flowering plants of the rain garden. Once again, I do not know the name of it but Don does have the rain gardens plantings on a plot sheet in his files, so I could easily find out (if the need strikes me).


Our red raspberries along the side of the house. They are very prolific and I transplanted a few of the runners to along the back fence this year, hoping they will thrive in the less than ideal conditions there. I'm not sure there is enough sun for them........


It is hard to see from this photo, but we have a sweet cherry tree planted at the far front corner of the house. This will be its 3 rd year and it did have numerous blossoms this Spring, so hopefully it will set fruit. We also have a peach tree (close behind me from where I took this photo) and it, too, was loaded with blossoms again this year. The fruit that set last year disappeared. I do believe the squirrels picked them for themselves........


The ferns are doing well again this year, too. Coppers look seems to be saying, "Well come on, what are you waiting for?".........


And finally, the new small planting bed that I will be putting the tomatoes and peppers in this year. Once again, I hope we have enough sun for them. We should as I have grown containers of tomatoes and peppers near the deck steps. The soil isn't the richest, but I will be adding compost from our bins, so we'll see how well things grow.


6 comments:

Molly Bee said...

I love that blue color too! And the wonderful coppery color of Copper!

yardsnacker said...

Thanks for the tour! Great plants all around. I'm sure your toms would appreciate some compost tea, that can fix just about any soil!

Anonymous said...

Looks Great!

BioLogic said...

The blue flowers are Virginia Bluebell, (Mertensia virginica) They are a native spring wildflower. They grow well in rich soil, and are generally found in woodlands and along streambanks.

Cheers,
your neighborhood restoration ecologist

BioLogic said...

The yellow flowers look a lot like celandine. Celandine typically only has 4 petals, and it looks like your plant has 5 petals per flower. So maybe it's swamp buttercup. Either way, its nice spring color!

HiHoRosie said...

What fun things are growing in your yard! Jealous you have a peach tree (yum!). Hopefully you'll get the fruit this time before the squirrelies. :)