Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park....."

As I mentioned last week, my cousin, Jill, passed away of a heart attack. I drove over to Grand Rapids, Michigan, on Sunday, to attend her funeral, which was held at the Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park.

For those of you not familiar with the name Frederik Meijer, he is the founder of the Meijer retail chain, which started out as grocery, but "might" have been one of the first to evolve into the "super store".

Originating in Grand Rapids, MI, he founded this beautiful garden and park facility for the public. It was a favorite spot of Jill's, not only for her own enjoyment, but also for taking friends and family who visited her in Grand Rapids.

I took a number of photos, but they are only a very small sampling of what a beautiful place this is.







Thankfully, it was a beautiful day for my "day trip" from Madison to Grand Rapids. I left Madison at 5:40 AM and got home at 11:30 PM that night. Many miles and hours upon the road, but I was happy that I was able to attend Jill's funeral, celebrating her life and time among us.

1 comment:

kim said...

Thanks for this too. I hadn't seen this last March. Didn't realize you did such a mega day-trip - you should have stayed the night at the house. Anyway, it was a fitting day, wasn't it? Just can't believe that all happened and she's gone.... :(