Monday, October 19, 2009

"Another Weaving Project Started......"

I began another weaving project last week. This one required the heddles that I'd taken off for the rugs to be added back onto the harnesses. I put every one that I had, but it still didn't meet the suggested epi (ends per inch) for the size of the warp. I will have to call this an experiment and hope for the best. This project is Bath Towels. I'd bought some 8/2 cotton warp and my weft will be cotton chenille. I have 5 colors of weft (beige's, browns, and rust) to create stripes, so we'll see what happens.

This photo shows me adding the heddles to the harnesses. I took the harnesses off of the loom, and used a spring clamp to hold onto the harness cable. I'm finding more uses for my spring clamps. ;)


The completed harnesses. Each harness now has over 100 heddles on it and each and every one will be in use for this project.


Measuring out the warp on the warping board, which is temporarily attached to the loom using my largest spring clamps. :)


The warp all measured out and ready to be untied and fanned out per inch along my homemade raddle (board with nails spread out in inch increments).


The warp ready to be wound onto the warp beam. The 4 round dowels are part of the tensioning device I use which Don gave me as a gift (made specifically for my Harrisville Loom).


More photos to follow as work progresses.......

1 comment:

MollyBeees said...

Oooh! Can't wait to see how this turns out. I don't know how you don't strangle yourself with all of those strings everywhere! I almost offed myself with Portuguese knitting! I'd be doomed for sure if I took up weaving!