Monday, June 9, 2008

"Copper's "Looper" Rug...."

The last time I was in Michigan, I went to the Great Northern Weaving supply, which is north of Kalamazoo, MI. I bought some "loopers" for weaving a rug. I originally was thinking of weaving a rug for the bathroom, but decided Copper's bed needed to have a rug on top of it instead. I set the loom up and wove the rug in about 2-2 1/2 hours! It was the fastest piece I have ever woven! It took longer to set the loom up than it did to weave her rug. :)

Loopers are a by product from the sock industry, similar to the loops that are used to make potholders on those small square frames, although fuzzier. To use them in weaving, they have to be chained together. Below, you can see them in their pre-woven state but chained together.


This is another photo that shows them chained together.


The finished piece. I wet finished it by washing it on the gentle cycle and drying it in the dryer, doing nothing special other than using cold water for the wash.


It fits Copper's bed nicely.......


Copper has slept on it but with the warmer weather we've been experiencing, she has been sleeping on the hardwood floors more often than not.

2 comments:

Molly Bee said...

That's gorgeous! What a sweet gift for Cooper!

Molly Bee said...

Ummmm...that is to say..."Copper". It's early yet, my typing fingers aren't warmed up! More coffee needed!