Thursday, May 1, 2014

"That "Wascally Wabbit!"

Unfortunately, I had seen a rabbit hereabouts as of late.  I had planted our Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and Cabbage plants in the raised beds last Monday.  However, the raised bed that is constructed of stones is "buffet" height for a rabbit, and Don aptly predicted "it is only a matter of time".  He was, of course, correct in his prediction and that "time" has come to pass.

Here is what the bed looked like after planting.......


And how it looked when I went outside this morning.  Yes, all but one Broccoli plant had been eaten and/or nibbled upon.  AND.......adding insult to injury, I just went out to transplant the remaining Broccoli plant into the 2' high raised bed and it was GONE!!!  Yes, that "Wascally Wabbit" returned and finished off its buffet, which I possibly interrupted when I walked out this morning.


Last Summer I planted green beans in this same bed, surrounded by marigolds, and they were never touched.  Either the marigolds deterred the rabbits or we were just plain lucky.  Unfortunately, it is too early to plant marigolds in hopes for this bed being used for any plants that attract rabbits.  Thank goodness I have the 2 other raised beds to pin my hopes on any brassicas surviving.  ;)  Here are photos of those planted beds.  I hope the old fire ring is high enough to keep enquiring rabbits from discovering the rest of the Broccoli plants.


I do feel confident that the newest raised bed will be tall enough at 2' high.  By the way, the "blocks" of soil additive are pieces that were still frozen in the bags when I emptied them into the raised bed.  This year instead of mixing commercial compost with peat moss, I am using bags of "Wholly Cow" (https://www.bfgsupply.com/order-now/product/39/58273/mip-1640-wholly-cow-manure-40qt-60pl), which is a combination of top soil, compost, and peat moss, which I purchased at Garden Goods (http://www.gardengoodstc.com).


This gardening season "might" be a bit stressful on this old guy.  LOL  I guess I best try to keep my sense of humor, eh, and try to "out think" that "Wascally Wabbit", eh?  ;)

1 comment:

My Five Sons said...

Yes Bunnies have a way of eating everything unless they are gourmet ones,I have two pest ones that roam the garden,I had to fence off my vegie patch