Monday, August 16, 2010

"Our Day Trip Into Canada....."

From our "base" in Malone, NY, we drove up into Canada to the area where Don's relatives lived prior to immigrating to the US. Some of them settled along the Trout River. I guess I forgot to mention that when we crossed over into Canada, French became the main language. :)


The scenic Trout River.........


The Trout River runs through the small farming community of Elgin, one of the towns/villages which had relatives of Don. There is no downtown area.....truly it is a community of farms only.


The church which Don's relatives attended, although not the original building.


A close up........


Down the road from the church is the cemetery where we found some of his relatives burial plots.


The cemetery is located across from the town hall.........


In front of which I settled once I had my fill of being bitten by the ravenous Canadian mosquitoes!


Next......on to Huntingdon, Canada.

2 comments:

John Toft Basketry said...

This looks like Elgin, Ontario. I taught there from 1968-72. Its a small world.

MadCityMike said...

Sorry John....it's Elgin, Quebec.