Saturday, April 4, 2009

"Another Year Gone!"

I don't usually post any entries on weekends, but feel I should, due to the fact that I will not be posting for a number of days. Once again, I am going to have knee surgery, this time to replace my left knee. If I wasn't anxious about going in to have it done again, I was cured of those thoughts after working outside in the yard today. The left knee was giving me a bit of trouble, reminding me that it was a bone on bone situation. I am VERY happy that it will be done this Monday and recovery will eventually mean no more knee pain when doing yard work, biking, or walking too much.

I also turned 59 on Friday. :) Don surprised me before he went to work early Friday morning with a choice of opening 1 of 2 presents offered. :) I chose the BIG one! :)


I really was surprised as there had been no delivery to the house of any such size package. Upon unwrapping it, the reason was immediately apparent........it had never been sent here, nor had he bought it locally. Don had it sent to our friend Barb, the sneaky little 2 some!!! :)


I was VERY surprised and VERY happy with the gift! It is a wool picker! A wool picker is used prior to carding a fleece, which in my case, means prior to using my drum carder. It separates the fleece locks, which in turn allows the fleece to be drum carded easier without nubs or lumpy areas on the batt. Many wool pickers are larger and not as easily stored when not in use. This one is smaller and can be locked/closed up totally so no sharp points are exposed. You will understand the safety that brings to storage when seeing the next photo.


Many, many super sharp nails which grab the washed wool, opening it up for processing it prior to carding.


The fleece enters 1 end and comes out the other. More photos which show this process will follow..............

2 comments:

Travis said...

Happy birthday, Mike, and many more! I hope your second knee replacement recovery goes as well as the first one. You're right, summer activities will be much easier with two working knees.
Sara

Molly Bee said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! You are so lucky to have such a thoughtful sweetie who loves you so. I'll be thinking of you on Monday. Just get it over with and with the new parts, there'll be no stopping you! Here's to a quick recovery. Bike season is almost here!