Monday, August 4, 2014

"Barb's Zucchini Relish......"

I just finished making another batch of Zucchini Relish, using my cousin Barb's recipe from her cookbook, "Purr"fect Recipes for "Dog"gone Good Eatin' (copyright 2006). She published her cookbook as a fundraiser for benefitting several animal shelters in SW Michigan. She also bakes "goodies" regularly and sells them so that she can continue to donate to these shelters.
Here are a few photos of my version of her delicious relish.  When making the first batch earlier this year, I used my Kitchen Aid's "grinder attachment", but I shredded my squash for this batch. Hopefully, the texture will be OK......
 

The zucchini is shredded or ground, and mixed with chopped onion, plus salt, so the mixture can sit overnight in the refrigerator.


Several spices are combined with cider vinegar, sugar, and chopped red pepper, before adding the rinsed zucchini and onion to the cook pot.  The mixture is heated until boiling, then boiled for 5 minutes before removing it from the stove and filling HOT pint jars and sealing them with new lids/rings.  The jars will seal without processing.  


The recipe makes 6-7 pints plus, depending on how the squash was prepared.


Here is a close up of a jar.  Delicious! 


No comments: