Friday, October 19, 2012

"Spool Rack....."

I received a call from a neighbor, Keyena, the other day.  She had a friend that was "giving away", yes, I said "giving away", a weaving rack that held 60 spools of warp!  Was I interested?  No hesitation on my part and I immediately said yes!  She gave me his number and I called right away.  When he answered and I told him who I was and why I was calling, he started laughing!  I guess between his posting an email offering the rack, Keyena must have seen it right away and called him, getting the information about it, then called me, and within minutes, I called him.  It was here at home within an hour of his posting about it.  ;)

It is in beautiful shape, made from oak, and came from Ohio.  I don't know who it originally belonged to, but Stan, who gave it to me, told that it came from a family who attended the very first Quaker Meeting House in the State of Ohio.  Whether it belonged to one of the founding families of the Meeting House, I do not know, but it is interesting to think about, eh?

This is what it looked like prior to my cleaning it.  All of the spools of warp were quite old, and the warp broke easily, so they went into the trash.


I was so lucky!  Thank you Keyena for thinking of me, and thank you Stan, for being so kind and giving it away, letting it live on in another weavers home!

4 comments:

Bobbin Doctor said...

Congratulations on a great find!
I can't wait to hear how you will use it - weren't these somehow used with a loom to provide a "continuous" warp. I've seen pictures of them standing behind rug looms with the warp somehow threaded directly into a loom.
I look forward to seeing some beautiful woven goods from your use of the rack.

Bernard said...

Lovely!!

Bernard said...

Lovely!!

Janice Zindel said...

Fabulous spool rack, Michael, how fortunate to have it come your way! Know you'll put it to good use and can't wait to see the pics!