Friday, September 18, 2015

"Grow Tent"

I had bought a variegated lemon tree last fall and then ordered 3 tiny citrus trees (Meyer Lemon, Dwarf Orange, and Key Lime) this past spring. They have lived out in or around the pop up greenhouses all summer and have thrived! With the outdoor temperatures fluctuating from the low 40's at night to the 80's during the day, I decided it was time to give them a more stable environment by moving them inside for the winter.

I ordered a grow tent and grow light from The Grow Store (for you Facebook users: https://www.facebook.com/The-Grow-Store-Traverse-City-MI-354914594528446/timeline/?ref=stream) and it arrived yesterday.

With some help from Don, I set the grow tent up in the basement, next to my weaving area, and moved the trees into their winter accommodations.


I was able to use 2 of the potting benches I had built for the pop up greenhouses.



The variegated lemon tree is the largest of the trees.


I decided I wanted to have more space between trees, so added a couple of plastic totes, allowing me to set 2 of the trees on them.


I will probably rotate the trees weekly from level to level so they get to take advantage of the better light higher up when sitting on the potting benches. I will be going out in a bit to see what I can find in timers (for the lighting) and small fans (for air circulation).

1 comment:

Barb said...

Can't wait to see this in person.